I can’t believe it, next year I turn 55. Where has the time gone? Just yesterday I moved to Colorado….Really 19 years ago, but it seems like JUST YESTERDAY. JUST yesterday I was a 10 year old kid moving to Dallas with my family. Time is flying by. Sometimes I’m bothered by it, other times I just embrace it and look forward to the new chapter.
“Aging is an extraordinary process where you become the person you always should have been.”
Regardless of how old I am, my life list never stops growing. I think that’s a good thing – always seeking adventure, knowledge…enriching life experiences. Nearly every year, I make a list of 50 to 100 things I want to accomplish/experience over the coming 12 months. I’m a doer, a list maker and slightly Type A, I can’t help it!
When flying to Houston for work this past Monday, I pulled out my notebook and got to writing everything I want to do starting on 12/1, ending a few months past my 55th birthday. It feels weird to write that number down and think it is actually going to be my age VERY soon!
Usually I wait until the new year, but was motivated so why not start the process now?
Truth be told, in the past, I have never gone back to see what I ACTUALLY accomplished….this post will be my tracking mechanism for the next 12 months. I want to see how good I am about reaching my goals. Or am I just full of hot air?
“What you get by achieving your goals is not as important as what you become by achieving your goals.”
Here goes…hoping someone out there will be inspired to create their own list and get after it!! Looks like the next 12 months are going to be a tad bit busy – I wouldn’t have it any other way.
One thing I have to say, we just bought a comfy sofa, so enjoying the sofa WILL be competing with my list of things to do!
These are in no particular order BTW – just a steady stream of consciousness.
- Ditch the Colorado winter and spend a week in Mexico (Tulum, here we come)
53 Documentaries on Netflix (I’d add more, but I don’t watch that much TV)
107 new books, fiction or non fiction (my Kindle is LOADED with un-read books.)
- Then she was gone
- Visit 4 new countries – Zimbabwe, South Africa, Botswana, Turkey (trip is booked for next August. I can hardly wait.)
Run at least 1 half marathon(maybe two) – done – New York Big Apple Half Sign up for either an organized bike ride or duathlon with Sean– DONE – Ride the Rockies – 2 days of the 7
- Randomly pay for someone’s dinner at a restaurant
- Go fly-fishing with Sean (he loves it)
- Join a women’s bike club and actually ride with them! (I blew it this year)
- Get involved with a charity close to home (can’t stand I have not given time to something relevant)
- Take a cooking class with Sean (maybe I can actually learn to cook something for him)
- Write 30 blog posts outside of photography (I would like to become a better writer)
106 new restaurants in Denver/Boulder area (I say only 10, because this actually takes effort to get somewhat dressed up)
- The Preservatory
- The Plimoth
- Oak on 14th
- 2 backpacking trips (could be anywhere)
- Rent a houseboat on Lake Powell
- Try 5 new breweries in Denver/Boulder area (we’ve tried almost all of them already 😬)
107 new hikes in Colorado
- Old Monarch Pass
- Mount Carbon Loop
- SUP on 3 new lakes in Colorado
Spend a week in New York City (my lifelong fantasy is to live there for a little bit)(DONE)
- Visit in-laws in their hometowns (our turn to see them in their element)
- Spend time with my sister
- Volunteer at the CRUSH art walls event in Denver
- Meet a new blogger friend in person (I’ve met two already 💕)
- Golf (and lose a bunch of balls) on 3 new courses
- Complete 50 Peloton bike rides (I need fitness goals!)
109 trails in Rocky Mountain National Park
- Bierstadt Lake to Bear Lake
- Give away some photography
Make thank you cards with my own images(DONE) and actually send a few out!
- Take a wildlife photography class (in prep for #4)
Travel to another city for a concert (Billy Joel, here I come!)(DONE)
- Billy Joel, NY, NY
- See 3 new bands in concert
- Climb a 14er I haven’t done before
- Winter snowshoe Yurt trip (booked already!)
- Cross country ski at least twice (Its been years, just got new skis)
54 artsy fartsy movies with English subtitles
- 63 Up
- Read the NY Times on Sundays – at least 25% of the time
- Fat bike at least twice this winter
- Spend the night in the Grand Canyon
- Babysit for a friend – dog or kiddo
- Stay-cation in Denver
- Join a women’s hiking group
- Keep my teeth cleanings 2 times a year – (you have no idea how much I hate the dentist!)
- Finalize the retirement plan (desperate for an end-date)
- Visit the Shambala spiritual center outside of Fort Collins (would like to learn to meditate)
- Refresh my will
53 museums (of any kind)
- 911 Memorial Museum
- Denver Art Museum – Monet exhibit
- Visit a friend who recently moved to Minnesota
- Attend a TED talk
- Farm to table dinner
- VOTE FOR A NEW PRESIDENT!!
Does anyone else make lists like this??
….i choose this….
This post is part of the 30-day November blogging challenge known as NanoPoblano2019. Our challenge is to write for 10 days, read others’ posts for 10 days, and share our posts for 10 days – could be to other social media accounts like Facebook, Twitter or Instagram or simply sharing with friends with a text link.
Check out this NanoPoblano2019 link and discover some talented writers/bloggers!